Good news and bad news, what would you like to hear first? Okay, Bad news first. It’s not really bad news, just venting.
The internet is so great some times for connecting with others, inspiration and self education, etc. But there are some times when I feel it closes up our world. I found a link to an artists website and I was looking through her portfolio and was just in love with each item in there. But then I started seeing items that were almost exactly the same as pieces I had made, ranging from jewelry, textiles to even her drawing style and techniques within that style. Then there were pieces that she had made that I had thought of as well, but had not had time to execute yet. Her pieces were all lovely and done better than what I’ve done too. Now, I never thought I was the only one to ever make such things, but that a person made so many of the same things in the same manner and same style, it was like she was a better me. It’s like that idea that “everything has already been made” or “nothing new under the sun”. You start looking around and the things you prided yourself on have already been done and done better by someone else. It’s just disheartening.
But onto good news because honestly I’ve been in a great mood all day.
Things that are making me happy, and have put a smile on my face:
- This picture of my grandma when she was 18.
- Rosa and I “breakin’ the law, breakin’ the law” said in your best beavis and butthead voices. I haven’t opened my bottle of wine yet though.
- Buying tickets presale to some of the best concerts coming up, yeah, I’m seeing the Smoking Popes and Flaming Lips again as well as going to lollapalooza again this summer.
- The 10 free itunes downloads I got for buying the Lips tickets (they weren’t share-able though, like the one you sent me Chris, and I had to download them then and there, so they are on my work computer)
- It’s FRIDAY!
- Hopefully going camping this weekend with Jenny in Galena
- Having tons of energy
- Being able to run for two 10 minute stints and not feeling like I am going to die. Best run I’ve had in weeks, felt great.
- Being able to watch netflix movies from my computer at home, and not having to wait for them to come in the mail each time, yay!
- hearing the song “Hey There Delilah” on XRT and thinking of Nikki, that is her song.
- Matt and I having a Qdoba dinner date right after I finish this post. We haven’t gone out to eat all week long and that is an accomplishment.